Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ubuntu to rescue...

Hello all,
Linux has being a great competitive as well as alternative OS to Windows/Mac etc.. Many things you can do with Linux and today  I want to share this experience with you all.

But before this, a short trailer of how i found myself in soup and how Linux save the day.. Read on...

Into the Problem:
Day before yesterday i was extending my C drive using Disk management utility. my C drive at that time was 15Gb :P, Since i need developing tools on my Laptop C drive need more space. Following are list of my tools i use with its approx disk usage
* MS SQL Server 2008 R2 - takes almost 2.5GB
* MS Visual Studio 2008 - 6GB
and some times Visual studio 2010 which takes whopping 7 GB... :/ and other such tools...

OK, now back to point, I couldn't extend the C drive for some reasons. So my friend suggested to use Partition Magic to  extend or shrink a Drive.. Never needed to use partition software's.. it was first time i was going to use it. I downloaded it from Torrent z as usual.. Next was least expected or my bad luck.. when i ran the setup, an error occurred saying Drive label not found. When i opened the Windows explorer i  was shocked.. it was showing only my C drive and all my other drive (D: E: F:) were missing... I didn't knew what to do that time, so as usual to solve any problem in windows i restarted my laptop... and this was another mistake i did... i knew problem was related to Partition table.. and after that my OS didnt boot.. The error was "Operating System not found". It was disaster for me.. all my data was there in hard disk but i couldn't access it. So instead of setting up new Win 7, i decided to create a LiveUSB of Linux...



Linux-ubuntu-Natty-Narwhal-to-rescue-Windows7-Ubuntu-how-to
Before the problem existed i was using Ubuntu 11.04(Natty Narwhal) on diffrent partion. Finally created a LiveUsb of Ubuntu , backed up all my data on my portable HDD and now there was no problem to format my Laptop hard disk... So during formating i even partitioned drives, installed Win7 again, and my machine was up again for working..
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Lessons learned :

* Never trust and download softwares from sites which you are not sure of.
* If you dont know how to use some software, take help of a technician.
* And even in worst case dont panic.. "Always carry your brain with you"

In my next blog i will give all the details of how to create LiveUSB linux.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...follow kalekushal.blogspot.com